DaCE Helpline: 07768 997437
We’ve pulled together a list of organisations that are providing help to people over the Christmas and New Year break.
Cumbria County Council can provide urgent help and emergency support including basic food and essential items, or if you are struggling to cope with your current situation for whatever reason. Call the county council’s Support Helpline on 0800 783 1966 (Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm, Friday 9am to 4.30pm). Their supportive staff will talk to you and suggest ways to help. You can also email COVID19support@cumbria.gov.uk and you will receive a response within one working day.
Medical assistance when your GP is closed
If you need medical assistance when your GP surgery is closed phone 111.
- Cumbria Health on Call (CHoC) provides primary health care services in and out of hours to the population of Cumbria.
- When to use 111:
- If you need medical help that cannot wait until your regular GP is open;
- You don’t know who to call or you don’t have a GP to call;
- You need health information or reassurance about what to do next;
- If you need a clinician and it is out-of-hours your call will be passed to CHoC;
- If a health professional has given you a dedicated phone number to call CHoC when you are concerned about your condition, continue to use that number.
- Remember – call 999 if you have a life threatening emergency
Pharmacy Opening Times
North Cumbria: If you live in Allerdale, Copland, Carlisle or Eden you can find out which pharmacies are open in your area here: North Cumbria Pharmacy opening hours (This information is available a few days before Christmas).
South Cumbria: If you live in Barrow or South Lakeland you can find out which pharmacies are open in your area here: South Cumbria Pharmacy opening hours (This information is available a few days before Christmas).
Mental Health support
If Christmas is a hard time for you, it’s important to remember that you are not alone. There’s a list of organisations that can help on Cumbria County Council’s website: Mental Health & Wellbeing support Mind also has some useful advice on their website, which explains how the period around Christmas and New Year might affect your mental health, gives tips on how to cope and suggestions for supporting someone else: Mind Christmas & Mental Health
Bus Travel: You can find timetables for travel on Stagecoach buses over Christmas and New Year here: Bus travel Christmas & New Year
Train Travel: You can find information on travelling by train over Christmas and New Year here: Rail travel Christmas & New Year