Travel Advice

DaCE Helpline: 07768 997437

Photograph of a Blue Badge and a Car Key.

Blue Badge scheme Cumbria If you are disabled, a Blue Badge allows you to park legally near to places you need to visit. The permit is for any eligible disabled person whether you are travelling as a driver, or as a passenger. It allows you to park for free in some pay and display car parks and on single and double yellow lines in most streets for up to three hours.

Cumbria County Council issues blue badges in Cumbria: Blue badge scheme Cumbria You can find out if you are eligable here: Blue badge eligability criteria

Photograph of a Disabled Pserons Railcard.

Disabled Persons Railcard This railcard is for people with a disability that makes travelling by train difficult. The disabled person using the card gets 1/3 off adult rail fares for travel on the National Rail network in Great Britain. If you’re travelling with another adult they will also get 1/3 off their rail fare. There are no time restrictions on the Disabled Persons Railcard, so you can use it to get a discount on tickets at any time of the day. You can find out whether you are eligable for a card here: Disabled Persons Railcard eligability

Photograph of a train travelling along a railway track.

Passenger assistance on Trains: If you are travelling by train you can pre-book assistance with each train company listed below by clicking on the company name.

Avanti West Coast runs trains along the West Coast line North towards Edinburgh and Glasgow and South towards London. Northern runs trains along the Carlisle to Newcastle route and along the Cumbrian coast. Transpennine Express runs trains along the West coast main line to destinations including Manchester. The National Rail Enquiries website is a useful website to look up train times, you can also see which train company you will be travelling with.

Photograph of a NoW card.

Disabled persons bus (NOW) Card : The NoW card is Cumbria’s disabled person’s bus pass scheme. To apply for a NoWcard during the library closure period you can:

  • Download a Disabled Person’s application form (PDF 139kb)
  • Request a paper application form to be sent to you by emailing:
  • Request a paper application form by writing to: ENCTS, Transport Services Team, Cumbria County Council, Parkhouse Building, Kingmoor Business Park, Carlisle, CA6 4SJ

Completed forms should be returned to the above address (this building is not currently open to the public) with evidence listed on the form and must include a recent passport style photograph. Or return the form, the evidence and a JPG photograph by email to:

%d bloggers like this: